Thursday, September 9, 2010

Barnes and Noble Colonie Centre


If you're kid loves books and you have 75 cents to spare then read on...
Just the other day I went to Barnes and Noble to buy a book (How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman- a great all purpose cookbook with easy and yummy recipes).  Anyway, before heading to the cookbooks I decided to take my son to the children's section.  We've been on a Byron Barton kick lately and I was hoping they had his book titled, Trains, which we've checked out of the library a number of times.  

I've been to this Barnes and Noble store before and have spent time in the children's section, but it was when my son was very young and not able to walk.  Now that he can get around on two feet I saw the children's section in a whole new light.  First of all there is a cute little stage by the store window where story hour takes place (for hours/themes Kids and Teens events).  It's decorated with a Winnie the Pooh Hundred Acre wood theme and has small wooden benches where the kids can sit and listen to/read a story.  Next to the stage area is a great board book and young readers section.  My son and I took our time reading different books displayed there and found our sought after title.  On the opposite end of the children's section there are more books, stuffed animals, toys, and... a Thomas the Train train table surrounded by small Adirondack chairs- the perfect size for kids (but adults can squeeze into them as well).  Since my son loves anything with wheels, we parked the stroller and spent some time moving the trains around track and talking to another family that was there.  

After reading and playing for over an hour, I finally decided to pay for our books and head home.  As we left the checkout line I noticed four small ride-on vehicles in front of the store (in the mall).  You know- the kind that take quarters, move up and down, and make noises.  Normally I would walk right by them mostly because I never have quarters or cash on me, but luckily for my son I had a stash of coins in my purse.  So, as a fun way to end our morning of reading and playing, my son got to ride on a train, a repair truck, and an ice cream truck before heading home for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment